This week, there have been lots of ups and down floating around me, swirling and dipping in the air. Some have been lovely and beautiful, some have been heavy and jagged. Most didn’t pierce me directly, but I felt the air rustle as they went by, hitting those close to me.
In that light, it’s left me with some sadness for those around me, but mostly filled with hope. Because the hope does always float up to the top, even in the darkest moments.
So based on that, I am going to share with you a couple of lists this week.
Top 5 Honest Moments of the Week:
- Glennon from Momastery.com shared some “Brutiful” truths about how she is really feeling right now on her blog, with some wonderful honesty about depression and how some things are good for us even if we don’t always understand why.
- This Vlogger shared her response to some “Fat Girl” hate comments in the BEST kind of response.
- Parenting is NOT about perfection. It is about loving through all the beautiful imperfections.
- I internet-know a different someone who, due to an ineffectual change in anti-depressant medications actually posted up to ask for advice on taking themselves to the ER for a 72-hr-psych-hold until the medication was righted, due to thoughts they were having. Things worked out, but I thought it was so very brave of them to admit this, and to ask for help.
- Here’s my more lighthearted bit of honesty about how life often gets in the way of what we really wish we were doing. Like writing.
To 5 Happy Things this Week:
- Theme Thursday this week was Superheroes! I think Maggie, and all kids, are Superheroes. And I haven’t stopped thinking about the “Princess” she spotted.
- My blog reached over 200 total followers, which is kind of amazing, and THANKS to all of you!
- We came across this at a preschool trip to the park this week, and I thought it was kinda beautiful, these chalk drawings someone did and left for us to find.
4. My girl is learning so many garage words with daddy. She picked this up, and said “Bolt!” ♥
5. We went and checked out a nearby city, one that’s smaller and a bit more “country” than where we live right now, and we all loved it. I think we may have found where we lay down our (family’s version of) homesteading roots, in a year or two.
My Top 5 Tips for When Things Get Tough:
- Admit that you can’t do it all, and even if you can’t ask for help, DON’T turn it down when it arrives. If you can, ASK for help.
- Breathe, and take a moment to remember how it felt when times were good. This is just a dip in the many curves of life, and things will always turn back up again. Hold tight to the memory of those happy feelings and know IT WILL COME BACK.
- Give yourself a long length of slack. This moment does not define who you are as a parent/spouse/friend/person, nor will it stand to represent ALL of who you are. You can get through this, even if it takes 5 gallons of ice cream, or 5 hours of TV a day for your kids, or 5 meals in a row of cereal, or 5 days with no clean laundry.
- Talk about it. Share with someone close to you, blog about it, vlog about it, call someone, meet for coffee, write about it, find a forum/blog/chat room and log in anonymously and talk to them, talk to your cat/dog/bird/ferret/ the spider in your entryway. Giving the tough times a voice makes YOU stronger, and lightens the weight.
- KNOW that you are loved. There are people who love, you, who need you, who care so very much about you. More than you could ever count right now. You WILL come out of the tough times stronger than when you went in, and they will be there every step of the way, in person and in spirit, supporting you and cheering you on.
Sending you all love and wishes for a peaceful weekend! Next week should be an exciting one, so stay tuned!